We've put together a House Book for you with details of stuff in the house.
But lets face it..the main reason you're interested is the weather!
First a word of warning: Typically you can add 2-4 deg C to any weather forecast during April, May, September and October. In July and August add 5-7 degrees!
(See picture of Thermometer in the garden!)
Current weather: http://www.holiday-weather.com/alicante/
Car Hire and Driving
In order to really get the most out of the region, we recommend you consider getting a car. Driving in Spain is not difficult, but there are a couple of things to be mindful of:
- They do like to drive very fast and very close to the back of your car. Don't be pressurised by this. Quick tap on the brakes........or just take your time.
- They may undertake as well as overtake on motorways....just be aware.
- On roundabouts, Spanish drivers will approach on the OUTSIDE when turning left or right, so watch out for cars driving across you as they go around the outside of the roundabout (takes some getting used to!)
- Parking is not generally one of their strong points...if the car can be pulled in at an angle across 2 spaces....then that's what will happen! But watch where you park: Anything with a Municipal warning..avoid!
- Petrol stations mostly still have pump attendants which is nice.....
- Lastly...the drink drive limit is less than the UK: Unless your Spanish is fluent and you fancy arguing with Spanish Traffic Police...don't go there!
Try: http://www.carjet.com/They have a'Basics' area which can work out pretty good: always get the extra insurance cover from the UK
Gran Alacant is situated on the hillside between the cities of Alicante and Santa Pola on the south eastern region of Spain. With mountains on one side and the sea on the other, there is a perfect natural micro-climate.
The nearest airports are: Alicante, Murcia and Valencia. The villa is just a 10 minute drive from Alicante airport.
The city of Alicante is a fifteen minute drive in one direction and has a plenty of attractions: Palm lined promenade, an extensive marina, the castle, a casino, plenty of good restaurants and shops, and a lively night life.
The beautiful quaint fishing port of Santa Pola is just 5kms drive in the opposite direction. Santa Pola has a large market with a vast variety of foods and good available and takes place on Saturday and Monday mornings. You can take the coast road along the Carrabassi beach into Santa Pola which runs from the bottom of the hill at Gran Alacant into the town or the N332 and be there in 7-8 mins. Santa Pola is famous for its fish of course, and there are plenty of restaurants serving up freshly caught fish, prawns, languistines, squid and other delicacies. The beaches in Santa Pola vary from a narrow stretch right next to the town centre, so very handy, to a large expanse to the the south of the town: Playa Lisa. From Santa Pola glass bottomed boats journey frequently to the island of Tarbarca.
Benidorm is approx 1 hours drive north or you can take the train or bus if you do not drive. The lively nightlife and its many attractions include Terra Mitica (theme park), Aqualandia (water park), and Terra Natura (animal park). Further up the coast, places like Altea, Calpe, Denia are very scenic. See the picture gallery.
The Gran Alacant area
Gran Alacant itself has a large selection of bars and restaurants catering to all taste and nationalities and several large supermarkets within walking distance where you can purchase beer, wine or sangria for relaxing on the terrace and soaking up the sun!
The Centro Commercial is worth a visit, if only to visit our favourite bar Shamu.
The Caribassi beach, to the east has fabulous sand dunes and stretches for miles, with plenty of free parking. This is part of a protected nature reserve.
For the nature lovers there is also the Clot de Galvany nature reserve where you can stroll through the grass and use the Keeps to take a look at the bird life.
There is a weekly market on Thursday morning just a drive or short train ride from the house. You buy fruit, veg, clothes, shoes and lots of other things.
There is a new sports centre (up the hill) where you can play tennis etc.
In Santa Pola there's also a sports stadium where you can play football on all weather surface and hire tennis courts.